Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Gram Parson's Eyes



EYES:
As promised, my first installment analyzes Gram Parson's eyes. First questions first. What color are they? Seriously. Does anyone know? There are not very many close-up color pictures out there, (and often his eyes are obscured by his hair!) so I’ve found that getting an answer to this question is far more difficult than I had anticipated. Black and white pictures, such as the one to the left, gave the impression that they were a pale blue. But I have been carefully reviewing every color picture, as well as video, I can find, and I think I’ve come to the ambiguous conclusion that they are a green/gray/bluish hazel. This conclusion is supported by a quote I found from Stanley Booth, where he described Gram as a “green-eyed Palomino pony.”

Color aside. I’ve never seen eyes quite like Gram’s. His strong and downward-sloping brow creates a sorrowful, ‘lost puppy’ look, which is then offset by an intensity created by his eyes’ proximity and his prominent nose bridge. The result is captivating—a mix of childlike innocence and a sexually-charged knowing stare which simultaneously obscures and reveals the pain just below the surface. But there is an interface between the physical and the emotional. Looking at him, the first thing you notice is mellowness, happy-go-lucky flirtatiousness, perhaps intentional—a result of his experience as an entertainer, perhaps just a natural part of his amorous and easy-going personality, or perhaps a mask. In any case, the way he uses his eyes seems deliberate. He looks at you as if he knows he’s getting to you, exciting you, penetrating your soul, ‘feeling you deep inside.’


6 comments:

  1. They were grey green hon,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Bird's egg green" I read in one book. All I know is they drew me into the Gram cosmic orbit and my life has been better.

      Delete
    2. green eyes! i knew it. and so beautiful.

      Delete
  2. A green, grey. and blue hazel.
    But green was the dominant color.
    Someone who knew him once called him
    "A green-eyed Palomino pony".
    When he looks at you so intensely across the years on film with those eyes and sings
    "I'm your toy. I'm your old boy"
    it's totally heart melting. Gram seduced anyone he wanted. Tender Mercies on my Grievous Angel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even his eyes could not be something as ordinary as blue or brown. No they had to be unique and special. 💙

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gram Parsons was a Scorpio and we are known for our eyes and intense gaze. When you look at his face his eyes mesmerize you. Not to mention just how pretty he was too. Its such a shame he was gone so young.

    ReplyDelete